Tuesday, July 12, 2005

28 hours to spa time…

Counting the moments, I so need a little break here.

I had to wake up at 5 AM this morning so that I could be at work by 6:30 for an event. Waking up that early is hard enough, but it was made even harder by the morning news. Back to back to back stories about poor, innocent children being hurt or killed or kidnapped or who are missing. Our news did a 5 minute segment on the jackass who in a stand-off with the LAPD used his 19-month old daughter as a shield in a gunfight. And what about the woman who drove 8 hours with 2 of her children in her TRUNK?! Her excuse?! She didn’t have enough room in the car with the dog and the luggage also. Let me repeat that - She didn’t have enough room in the car with the dog and the luggage also.

I will give you all your moment of stunned silence/rage.

At least when you hear the stories of Natalie Hollaway or those 2 kids from Idaho you can rest assured that they were loved and well taken care of by their families and still would be if it wasn’t for some random act by some psycho. But the stories about the parents that do these things to their own children just kill me. I spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week making sure that I can give my child enough love, support and protection from the world as I possible can. Everyday I agonize over whether or not I’m doing all the right things for him. Is he getting enough veggies? Is he getting the right about of stimulation? Is daycare good for him or traumatizing him? How can I keep him from touching the germy trash can? So I just don’t get it. I don’t get how a parent could do anything else but love and protect their children in every single way possible. Not put them in the line of fire as your loser ass is trying to run from the cops. AGH!

In effort to not work myself up into a tizzy over other people’s stupidity (mantra from therapy: “Its their issue, not yours. Its there issue, not yours.”) I will now think about a more light hearted topic like the Nordstom sale that begins tomorrow or the new cheap CoverGirl “tru blend” make-up that I bought and not sure that I like. Unfortunately, when I try to not seethe in hatred for the dumbasses of the world, my brain goes immediately to the box of delightful brownie bites in the kitchen area. Brownies will make the world better, wont they?

DAMN YOU WHITE FLOUR! DAMN YOU!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

It definately sucks when we try so hard to be good parents and there are lots of parents out there that just don't care.
The world is just getting more and more strange.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Purple Hat said...

It is stories like those that make me want to go to my daughter's pre-school (she's 4) and hold her forever and ever (and being the little Diva that she is, she would probably give me a "MOM!!" and look all embarassed in front of her friends-but I dont care) It makes me angry/scared when I hear about people like that.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Char said...

http://perceptionsofafatchick.blogspot.com/2005/07/dumbass-of-week-by-far.html


In case that doesn't work.. ck out my blog ... I wrote about the same thing as you. Lol.

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site »

2:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home